Tuesday, April 17, 2007

It's Funny How You Look In The Mirror And Talk To Yourself, Saying "She Looks Just Like You..."

[This poem is dedicated to my friend Dani]

The lights come on
And so do you
Then the rest of us file out on stage
To entertain for the night in our own special way
And I swear, this whole world never seemed so alive
With the moon shining down and the people all around

You get chills in the dark
'Cause there's someone waiting by the backdoor of the building
You can't make who it is out through the dark
But that doesn't matter, 'cause it's me
And I leave before you can notice that it's me
Oh, there shouldn't have been any turning back that night
I hope you understand that that whole thing was an accident
Only caused by sentiment and instinct
But there shouldn't have been any turning back last night
Because I've always been told that the hard thing is what's right

I hope that this is whole thing isn't just a dream
Or maybe a sweet nightmare
I just need to break out and wake up
And look out the window and find out if out there lies disaster
Or paradise
Which ever it is, I'll just laugh
Because after sleeping for so long, any reality is a relief

You're not who you think you are
And neither am I
Again, I just have to laugh at the disaster outside
Maybe I'll take my bike out for a ride
Just to see if I can outrace myself for a little while
I didn't think that you'd need to escape too
But that could be the only reason to make you ride so fast
And maybe the realization wouldn't have hurt so much
If it hadn't come so swiftly around that corner

(All your friends say you're too far gone
But I say not, unless they're afraid of walking at night
Because I prowl the streets looking for someone
And it could be anyone, especially you)

No comments: