Thursday, June 14, 2007

I Hear They Have A Wall In China, But I Bet It Ain't As Long As Our Song (When We're Dancing All Night)

If thermometers don't lie, it was 200 degrees
On that sweet summer night, when we couldn't find anything to do at all
Personally, though, I have my doubts about the wisdom of machines
And I swear to the sky I don't know what these lines are supposed to mean
'Cause every single time I find I'm writing about love
Every single line in every single poem
They always seem to be about how I'm trying to find my own way home
Well, I mean, come on! gimme a break...
Love is great and all, but if that's all your life is, isn't that a mistake?
Or maybe it isn't, and what it's all about is what would happen if I woke up next to you
And some other little plots about rings, vows and the words "true blue"
The sun's already set, I'm sitting here typing
And I really don't know what to do

Should I put on a face? make it a bold and brave one?
Maybe these above lines are ones I should erase
Most likely they'll just make me lose face...
How come when I'm alone I feel like a stranger
In a small, friendly town
Where everyone likes you, but without someone traveling with you
It just feels temporarily wrong
Like an awkward chord change
In a remake of your favorite song

Even though I'm just a poet
Who sits up and writes all night
I'd always try to be your man
And cry out to the crowd
"Make way for the lover parade
Make way for my girl"
And they'd all part, just enough to let you through
Which would be okay, cause after all
If I got stepped on and crushed, it'd all be for you

No comments: